The Best Lasagna Ever


Hello everyone.  I was truly impressed with this recipe and definitely recommend this to everyone!  It  makes enough to feed an army, and freezes well too.

After getting all of the ingredients and starting to cook the lasagna I realized that the directions call to bake and simmer the sauce WAY longer then I had (total prep time like 5 hours), but I was hungry and had planned to eat the lasagna the same night I was cooking so cut all of the cook times in half and it still came out awesome.  Click the link a the bottom if you desire to cook this for a whole day.

What I also loved about this recipe was that the ricotta wasn't overpowering (maybe I just didn't slop on as much as I usually do) but was still there for flavor and texture.  It also made me feel a little healthier that it wasn't oozing with cheese like my lasagnas usually are.

Ingredients used:

1 lb spicy Italian sausage
1 lb ground beef
1 onion minced
4 small cloves garlic minced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15oz can tomato sauce
2 6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 TBS white sugar
Fresh chopped basil
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Fresh chopped parsley - 1/2 for meat, 1/2 for cheese
1 box lasagna noodles
Small polly-o ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Grated mozzarella cheese to taste
parmesan cheese to taste


Preheat oven to 375 - use 9x13 inch oven safe container to bake lasagna in

Cook the Meat

In a large wok add sausage, beef, onion, and garlic.  Cook until meat is browned and mixed together.  Add sugar, fresh basil, fennel, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, parsley.  Stir together and cook 3-5 more minutes for flavors to blend together.    Add all canned ingredients, crushed tomatoes, sauce, 2 cans paste, and 1/2 cup chicken stock.  Stir well and cook for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally.  I covered it and left a little opening for the steam to come out since the sauce started to splatter everywhere once it started to heat.

Cook the Pasta

Cook Lasagna noodles in large pot so that lasagna is completely covered with water when they are placed to cook.  Follow box for cooking instructions

Make the Cheese Layer

(When ready to use) In a bowl combine small ricotta container, egg, parsley, and nutmeg.  This is so delicious.  I used some left over noodles to eat up every last bit of this.


Assemble

Once meat is done put 1 cup in bottom of baking pan, place noodles to cover on top, put small layer of ricotta mixture, a bit of mozzarella (we didn't have much at the time so I used it VERY sparingly) and more meat.  Keep layering until container is full topping with a bit of meat and mozzarella cheese.  I added parmesan to the top too since the mozzarella didn't cover the top complely and looked lonely by itself.

Bake

I baked this for about 35 minutes (15 covered with foil, 20 uncovered) because it was getting later and later after work and I was STARVING.  After it was done I let it sit for a few minutes and served. 


Review
I loved that it was a little spicy and not to cheesy although still tasting like a traditional lasagna.  It went fast as Alex and I had two helpings each and I shared some with my friend Karen and her sons who all loved it as well! We ate it again for lunch the next day and STILL had some to freeze

I will be making this recipe again soon!  Hope you enjoy it!

Original recipe below:

https://thestayathomechef.com/amazing-lasagna-recipe/

Edit: Shout out to Jen Halvorsen for posting this on her facebook!  If not for her I wouldn't have ever found it!

Comments