New England Clam Chowder

New England Clam Chowder



Merry Christmas all!  I made this recipe for my dad when we celebrated our Christmas on Friday and he loved it! (Which is saying a lot because not many foods live up to Charlie's standard.  His approval of my soup was enough of a Christmas present for the whole 2017 season.)




My aunt Krista in Texas gave me this recipe, it's pretty easy and very tasty! (Originally found on Food Network)


I cut the recipe in half since I wasn't cooking to feed an army and it made 4 delicious servings.



Ingredients:

1 lb yellow potatoes peeled and cut into bite size pieces
2 lbs canned clams 
3 stripes bacon diced
Olive oil
1 onion diced
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
5 cups canned clam juice ( i used a little less and it was still great)
1 pt half and half
salt and pepper
Hot sauce to taste
Worcestershire sauce to taste

Directions:

1.  In a large pot combine calm juice and potatoes.  Bring to a boil and cook 10-15 minutes.  After add clams and all juice cooking another 5 minutes minimum. (If timed properly step 1 should be finished around the time step 2 is done).

2. Add a little olive oil to a pan.  Heat a bit and add diced bacon over med-low heat.  Cook until it starts to become A LITTLE brown (not crispy at all, 5 minutes?).  Add onions and cook about another 3-4 minutes.  Add butter, allow to melt and cook 1-2 minutes.  Add flour gradually to make a roux.  As usual I was too impatient to let the roux get brown, but no one but me knew the difference except for me.  It still tasted great in the end.

3. Add bacon and onion roux to large soup pot and stir a while to combine.  Let soup boil a few minutes and slowly start to add 1/2 and half stirring consistently.  I did not use the whole pint of 1/2 and 1/2.  I had maybe 1/3 left over.   Soup should be boiled down a bit and start to thicken a bit.  Finish with salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire all to taste.

Serve and enjoy =)

Of course recipe can be doubled or tripled if you need to feed more people.  Also reheats well for left overs.





Happy cooking all - let me know how it comes out if you make it!


Original recipe posted here.  Makes 8 servings:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/oyster-house-clam-chowder-recipe-1910659#reviewsTop

Comments