Al Pastor Pork Tacos

Al Pastor Tacos





Recipe from Tasty App

It's pretty delicious and takes about 5 hours to complete.  

When I was making this I felt like I was trying to do a DIY project that was going terribly wrong.  In the video where I found this recipe it shows all of the meat secured up right and ready for baking on a single wooden skewer in the oven... but let me assure you that s$#t did not stay upright!


Picture from tasty app of what it's supposed to look like.  I guess don't believe everything you see on the internet... right!? 




When this didn't work I just laid the skewered meat down on a foiled baking sheet... after I tried to cook it in a glass vase... needless to say it didn't cook to well in there...
Failed attempt at cooking

Final way I cooked it






















Here is what you need to make this recipe:

Recipe makes 10 servings but of course can be reduced when needed.  I made enough for 2 servings.

5 lb Boneless Pork shoulder - cut into slices
3 TBS Canned Chipotle chillies seeded and chopped
2 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1 TBS Dried oregano
1 TBS Cumin
1 TBS Salt
1 TBS Pepper
3/4 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup Pineapple juice
1 Pineapple skinned and sliced into 1 inch rounds
Wooden Skewer
Corn tortillas
White onion chopped
Fresh cilantro finely chopped
Lime wedges
Salsa of your choice



Marinate Pork:

Chop up pork and place in a large bowl.  Combine chili's and all spices listed, vinegar, and pineapple juice.  Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours minimum.

Cook Pork:

Prepare baking sheet with foil and preheat oven to 350.  Cut pineapple into slices. At this point you can try to place pineapples in a stack, try to stick the skewer in it and place pork on top to create a tower like the model picture above OR you can skewer meat together and place pineapple slices  on top of meat in oven (pictures above).

What I did:

Skewer pork and place on baking sheet.  Cook 1 hour and a half rotating meat every half hour, placing pineapples back on top of meat each rotation.  Once done remove from skewer and chop up on cutting board.

When ready to serve warm corn tortillas, chop onion and cilantro, place favorite salsa on the bottom and put al pastor meat inside tortilla.  Put onions, cilantro, and squeeze lime juice on top.  I also used avocado but I feel it took away from the flavors of the dish.


Let me know if you find a better way to stand this meat up for cooking and carving!

Bon Appetit! 

Comments